Saturday, April 21, 2012

Brooding worries

Chicken eggs hatch after just 21 days so we're almost two thirds of the way there.  On Friday (April 20th), I decided that I'd move my brooding hen, Broody Judy, into a laying box on the floor.  I looked around for a box I had used in the past or anything else I could use for that matter.  I didn't have much luck so I decided to just build a new one.  It won't be winning any construction awards but for some scrap plywood and a few minutes of time, it'll work. 


I'll be putting the box in the coop on Sunday.

Earlier today (April 21st) I gave my chickens some strawberries and left over strawberry cake from my birthday last week.  It was so funny seeing them dig into the cake and have frosting all over their beaks!  Like a good future mom, Judy didn't leave her box to chow down.  I delivered a strawberry to her laying box.  This was at about noon.

I returned home at about 9 that night and decided to collect the eggs laid and close up the coop for the night.  I was shocked to see Judy was not in her laying box.  She must have gotten out and returned to the wrong box.  Her eggs were cool to the touch.  I placed her back on her eggs but now I don't know if any will hatch.  :(  

Tomorrow, I'll candle the eggs to look for any movement.  If any made it I'll move them to the new box for hatching next week.  Fingers are crossed.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck :) BTW.... my neighbor's chickens are in. The kids are getting a kick out of watching them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so cute. If mine hatch they're more then welcome to come visit them too :)

      Delete