Sunday, April 29, 2012

Day 21 for some

April 29, 2012

In preparation for the possibility that the eggs may hatch, on Saturday, I removed the bowl of water placed a chicken waterer in the brooding area.  I put glass beads in the water so the water would be shallow and no chicks would drown.


I was not feeling optimistic about these eggs hatching after they had gotten cold.  It takes 21 days for a chicken egg to hatch. Today is day 21 for about half of the eggs under "Broody Judy".  I went out to check on the eggs and I swear I heard a peep.  No, I must be crazy!?  Well there was one way to find out. I lifted up Judy and this is what I saw...


2 chicks!!!  Yippee.  Sorry the picture isn't very good but I wanted to leave them alone.  The black chick was nice and fluffy and the brown one was fresh out of the egg.  

As of tonight at 8 PM, there were still only two chicks but that's two more then I thought we'd get.  

Another nice thing that happened today was our friend Scott, who works for our town with my husband, Steve, and owns Bergeron Lawn Care came to the house to quote us on some yard work.  We removed a 30' above ground pool last year and there was a lot of material (mostly sand) left on the ground.  We were able to barter. Scott to clean up the area and remove the sand in exchange for Steve working some of his hours.  No work required for me; I'm loving this one! :) 



As you can see, Scott has done a great job so far.  Next, we're going to order top soil and plant some grass seed.  Anyone out there want to barter for top soil?  I've got some sheep available.

I'll try to blog again tomorrow to give a status on day 21 on the other half of the eggs.  







1 comment:

  1. Awwwww .... So happy to hear about the chicks! Very cool :)

    ReplyDelete