Monday, April 16, 2012

Little Losses


This week has been full of tiny little losses but don’t worry they’re not all bad…

Loss 1: Tulips

Last year I had planted a large variety of tulips in a bed by my front door.  They had come up but hadn’t yet opened (they were SO close).  Right before they opened my sheep ate them and ripped the bulbs right out of the ground.  I was very upset but I knew it was my fault for letting the sheep out to graze. 

This year I ordered new tulips.  I left them in the pots and planed on planting them later on.  I made a mental note NOT to let the sheep out and I had been really good about it.

On April 13, 2012, my husband, Steve, went outside at 10 PM and noticed 2 “fur balls” walking around by his car.  Yup, those brats broke out of their pen, found my tulips and ate them.  Thankfully they didn’t get all of them. 



BTW, is anyone hungry for lamb stew?  J.K.



Loss 2: Fence

I almost forgot about this one.  Obviously the sheep got out for a reason.  Our fence post had cracked a while back (ok, perhaps I cracked it when I hit it with the bucket of the tractor).  This winter the crack finally gave in and the pole was pretty much useless.  We rigged something up to hold it in place until we had time to fix it. 

The sheep have broken out a few times so on Sunday we cleaned out a poop load of poop and replaced the broken post.  A new gate will be going in soon.




 Loss 3:  Hair

This one is exciting… Andrew got his first haircut!  His curls are already coming back.



Loss 3: Egg

This one makes me a little sad L.  I wanted to check in on Broody Judy and candle some of her eggs to see how they were coming along. 

On Sunday, April 15, the eggs were 6-7 days old, depending on the egg.  I went out to the coop and picked Judy up to put her on the ground to try and convince her to eat and drink something.  When I picked her up she somehow grabbed onto an egg with her feet and it fell to the ground.  



I candled a few of the eggs and the ones I checked were all fertilized… check out the veins



I opened up the cracked egg to check out the development.     




Judy is still sitting on her 9 other eggs and I’m hopeful they’ll all hatch. 

As for the flowers, at least someone was able to enjoy them too bad it was the sheep. 

No comments:

Post a Comment